Economic Development Manager
Downtown Façade Grant
Purpose: This program provides financial assistance for improvement projects to building facades in downtown Johnstown and exists to encourage revitalization to as many private commercial properties in the downtown as possible.
What you need to know: All grants are awarded on a 50/50 matching basis. A maximum of $10,000 per facade is available. A one-time grant up to $1,000, in addition to the facade grant, is available for signage that meets the Eligible Improvements requirements.
Grants are intended to encourage private investment downtown, preserve the special characteristics of, and encourage new investment in, downtown businesses and promote business activity. Grants are subject to availability of funds.
How to apply: Please complete the PDF application attached to the Program Description below and email your (application) and supporting materials to the Economic Development Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Eligibility (see full grant description below for all details): Any property owner or business tenant in the downtown may apply. Eligibility is based upon the following criteria: Improvements to the appearance of a building, Creation of Jobs, Ability to leverage additional economic activities, Provision of Needed Services
Tenants must have the owner’s written approval. All applications must be submitted for approval prior to construction.
Eligible improvements include hard costs associated with the physical rehabilitation of the property. Labor costs are eligible if the work is to be done by someone other than the applicant/owner. All renovation projects must comply with the Downtown Johnstown Design Guidelines.
- Removal of false fronts and restoration of original storefronts (provide photos of historic storefront)
- Repair of cornices, soffits, and trim
- Repair or replacement of windows and doors with historically-compatible materials and design (preference will be given to energy efficiency upgrades)
- Repair of historically-appropriate façade materials
- Repair and stabilization of foundations, if related to façade improvements
- Installation or replacement of gutters
- Masonry repointing
- Repair or replacement of roofing with historically-appropriate materials
- New cloth or metal awnings
- Exterior painting of full façade(s)
- Demolition of non-historic or incompatible elements
- Alley entrances and façades, where the entrance is for public access
- New permanent signage that enhances Downtown character and streetscape
- Creation of outdoor space/patio
- Murals, if they are professionally done, provide an important aesthetic improvement, and DO NOT advertise and/or promote a specific business or service.
- Creation of ADA accessible customer entrances, not intended for private entrances or residences.
- Labor costs performed by a licensed contractor/business
You must complete the following to be considered for funding:
- Signed and completed application form
- Current W-9
- Plans, drawings, or renderings (as appropriate) of proposed renovations (scaled with dimensions)
- Color photographs of the existing conditions of the building; including the area for improvement
- Contractor and/or material bids (no more than 30 days old)
- Additional items requested by Town staff in order to determine applicant eligibility