Municipal Court

Municipal Court

Municipal Court Clerk



The Town of Johnstown Municipal Court is held in the Council Chambers in Town Hall located at 450 S. Parish in Johnstown. The Honorable Michael Lazar presides over Municipal and Model Traffic Code violations. Proceedings conducted by Prosecuting Attorney Avi Rocklin. 

The types of cases heard in the Johnstown Municipal Court are:

  • Animal-related Violations (ex. loose dog, animal bites)
  • Code Violations (ex. weeds, failure to clear snow)
  • Misdemeanors (ex. vandalism, shoplifting)
  • Parking Citations (ex. fire hydrant, blocking driveway)
  • Traffic Violations (ex. speeding, failure to stop)

Note: The above are examples and are not intended to be all-inclusive of citations in Municipal Court.

Payment can be made by mail, in person or by card. You can make a payment over the phone by calling 970-578-9607.


What should I expect at Court?

Plan to arrive at court early on the date of your appearance. Court check-in begins around 12:45 p.m. The Prosecuting Attorney and Judge hear cases on a first come, first served basis. If the docket is short and you arrive late, the court session may be completed for the day and your case will be documented with a Failure to Appear. Caps and hats should be taken off in the Council Chambers during court, and all cell phones should be silenced. 


You may represent yourself through all the proceedings of the Municipal Court or obtain an attorney at your own expense. Court personnel are not allowed to give legal advice. 



Court Schedule

Court dates are the first and third Mondays at 1:00 pm. If the first or third Monday is a holiday, Court will be held the following Wednesday. 

In accordance with the American with Disabilities Act and other applicable laws, individuals who need accommodation for their case should contact the Court Clerk at 970-578-9607 no later than 48 hours before their hearing date in order to request such assistance. 

De conformidad con la Ley de Discapacitados Estadounidenses y otras leyes vigentes, los individuos que necesitan adaptaciones funcionales para su causa deberán comunicarse con la Actuaria del Tribunal marcando el 970 578-9607 a lo más tardar 48 horas antes de la reunión para solicitarla.

If you require an interpreter and did not schedule this in advance with the Court Clerk, we will reschedule your trial. Please let the Court Clerk know you require an interpreter and confirm the new court date. 

 Si usted necesita un intérprete y no pidió uno de antemano con la Actuaria del Tribunal, volveremos a fijar su juicio para una fecha nueva.  Favor de informar a la Actuaria del Tribunal que necesitará un intérprete y reconfirme la fecha de la nueva comparecencia.

Questions related to obtaining a police report should contact the Johnstown Police Department at 970-587-5555. 

Municipal Court Payments

Citations may be paid on or before the court date listed on the citation and if there is a fine amount listed on the citation. If the citation is a SUMMONS appearance in court is required at the time, place and date listed on the citation. By paying the penalty assessment guilt and liability is acknowledged and the right to appear in court is waved. Penalty assessments which are timely paid, may be eligible for a point reduction. 

To pay and wave your right to appear in court, contact the Court Clerk at 970-578-9607. Office Hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays. Payment can be made by mail, in person or by card over the phone. To make a payment over the phone, call the Court Clerk. 

Fines and court costs are due on the day of your guilty or no contendere (no contest) plea, unless an agreement is made otherwise by the Judge. If you do not pay your fines in full on the day of your court appearance, you may be provided additional time to pay. A separate fee may be assessed.  You will receive another court date. If your fines are paid in full by the next court appearance date, you will not need to appear. If you do not appear in court or you are not able to pay the fines assigned to you at your court date, your case may be sent to collections.