Online Inspection Requests (Due by 4pm for next business day):
Inspections Line: 970-305-3161 Ext. 1
Jonathan Gesick (ProCode), Chief Building Official
Johnstown Permit Technician
About the Building Department
The Johnstown Building Department is responsible for administering the Town adopted building codes to promote the health, safety, and welfare of our community.
- Permits may be paid by cash, check, or money order only at this time.
- Johnstown Municipal Code requires contractors be licensed by the Town of Johnstown for any construction project that requires a building permit. Generally, but not all inclusive, this includes general contractors, electricians, plumbers, etc. The requirements include the need for applicants to provide insurance and work comp verification, as well as any applicable state licenses to ensure they have the minimum qualifications necessary to perform work in the Town.
Code, Plan Review & Inspection Questions
To offer the best service to our community, the Town contracts with ProCode Inc. for our plan reviews, permit inspections, and to serve as our Chief Building Official in making official determinations. ProCode offers building and code professionals that can assist with specific code, plan review, and inspection questions and resources.
ProCode Contact Information:
ProCode Johnstown website
Permit Submittal & Processing
Our Building Permit Technician assists in processing permit applications and accepting payments. Once fully approved, the Permit Tech will provide invoices, permit documents, and Certificates of Occupancy/Completion.
New Water Meters (up to 2.5”) are ordered through the Permit Tech who initiates that work order with Utilities, and asks Utility Billing to set up a builder account. Call once all necessary inspections have passed and your project is ready for a meter. Larger meters are supplied by the contractor, to Town specifications. Call the Utilities Engineer for more details (970-587-4664).
Current adopted Building Code (IBC) and Residential Code (IRC) is 2018, with amendments per Ordinance 2019-165. Visit our Building Codes page for more information. Feel free to reference Building Guides from Colorado ICC to assist in simple plan preparations. Current code adopted is 2018.
All contractors must be licensed in the Town of Johnstown. Visit our Licenses page for more information.
Permit, Tap & Other Development Fees
Check out the Town’s current adopted Fee Schedule, with the following code references:
- Chapter 4 Use Tax (on all construction materials)
- Chapter 6 Contractor License
- Chapter 13 Tap fees: Water, sewer, raw water development, and water meter
- Chapter 17 Development Impact Fees
- Chapter 18 Permit fees
New Development – Approved Plans
All new construction, with the exception of single family homes on platted lots, are required to receive approvals and finalize agreements through the Planning & Development Department prior to submitting for building permits. Please visit the Planning & Development page for more information on Johnstown’s Development Review processes.
Colorado Chapter International Code Council
Colorado Electrical Board
Colorado Examining Board of Plumbers
Weld County Environmental Health
Larimer County Environmental Health Services
Front Range Fire Rescue
Front Range Fire Services for Construction Development