Town Clerk

Hannah Hill




Business Licenses

If you're looking for a general Business License, please visit our new Business Licenses page

Resources For Business Owners

Home Business Regulations How To Start a Business Guide Business Resources



Specialty Business & Professional Service Licenses

Is your business looking to solicit customers in Johnstown or pursue contract or subcontract work with local stakeholders? Do you want to serve or sell liquor at your business? Do you operate a mobile business, such as a food truck, that wishes to serve Johnstown residents? Find information on applying for the most relevant license types.

Contractor License

The following contractors need to be licensed with the Town of Johnstown to work in the Town limits. Subcontractors also need to have a license and are not exempt if the work is under a general contractor. Please contact the Front Desk at frontdesk@johnstownco.gov

  • Electrical Contractor
  • Fire Sprinkler Contractor
  • General Contractor
  • Insulation Contractor
  • Lawn Sprinkler Contractor
  • Mechanical Contractor
  • Plumbing Contractor
  • Roofing Contractor
  • Sign Contractor
  • Solar Contractor
  • Swimming Pool Contractor

Apply for a Contractor License Read the Municipal Code related to Contractor Licenses

Solicitor License

Johnstown Municipal Code Chapter 6, Article II requires all solicitors to register for a license with the Town Clerk. Solicitor means any person who solicits for the purchase or sale of goods or services of any nature whatsoever from any private residence.

  • Register with the Town Clerk’s Office using the application form
  • Each individual solicitor must apply for and receive a license
  • Each solicitor must carry their license on their person when actively soliciting  

Please contact the Town Clerk's office for an application and pricing information. 

Liquor License

The State of Colorado is a dual liquor license that begins at the local level. After review and approval from the local authority, the applicant will be sent to the State liquor licensing agency. Application forms and fees are set by the state and can be found on the State liquor licensing agency website

Please contact the Town Clerk for local fees. 

Special Event permits that include alcohol may be issued by the Local Authority to particular types of organizations, permitting the applicant to sell or give away fermented malt beverage or alcoholic beverages for a set amount of days at a specified location. Please note you must apply 45 days prior to the event. 

Apply for a Liquor License ( State of CO) Apply for a Special Event with Liquor Permit


Keep in Mind

Timeframes that are important for a liquor license: 

  • Renewal applications must be submitted 45 days prior to the license expiration.
  • Special event permit applications need to be submitted 30 days prior to the event.
  • New licenses or transfer of ownership requires a minimum of 90 to 120 days.



To obtain a liquor license application, contact the Town Clerk at 970-578-9600. Incomplete applications/packets will not be accepted.

  • All forms must be typewritten or printed legibly in black ink. All documents must be fully executed showing required signature and dates.
  • Applications must be completed and a complete packet submitted to the Town Clerk, along with the required fees.

While the Johnstown Town Clerk’s office is available to provide some assistance in the application process, the Clerk cannot provide legal advice and cannot make any representations or assurances as to the final outcome of the process. It is not essential that you seek the assistance of an attorney to guide you through the process; although you may strongly consider doing so.

Mobile Vendor License

Johnstown Municipal Code Article XI contains requirements for mobile food vendors, food trucks, outdoor vendors and pushcarts. A Mobile Vendor License is required to prepare, sell or serve food from the interior of the truck or trailer. Please contact the Town Clerk for the Mobile Vendor Policy or with any questions. 

Apply for a Mobile Vendor License



Other Licenses

Find information on applying for a variety of other license types.

Pet License

Cats and dogs are required to be licensed in the Town of Johnstown. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.

Licenses are valid for only 1 year and must be renewed by April of each year. Pet licenses can be acquired and renewed in person at Town Hall, 450 S. Parish Ave. 






Read the Municipal Code related to Pets and Licensing

Short Term Rental License

Johnstown Municipal Code Chapter 6, Section 6-61 requires any Short-Term Rental unit be licensed with the Town Clerk’s Office and comply with the Rules and Regulations stated in the Code. Short-term rental means any rental of a residential dwelling or portion thereof for less than thirty (30) days for residential purposes. The application and accompanying Lodging Tax Registration should be turned into the Town Clerk’s Office with the license fee. The applicant will be required to renew this license annually. 

Apply for a Short Term Rental License Certificate of Registration for Lodging Short Term Rental Regulations Lodging Tax Instructions and Tax Return Form