Johnstown Municipal Code Article I, Sections 6-1 through 6-13 contain the requirements for business licenses.
A business license is required for the maintenance, operation or conduct of any business or establishment, or for doing business or engaging in any activity or occupation. Depending on the type of business, upon receipt of an application for a license an investigation or inspection may be made by various agencies or Town departments. These investigations or inspections may be made by the County Health Department, Building Inspector, Fire Marshall, Chief of Police or other officer designated by the Town Council.
The Health Department may inspect businesses in connection with the care and handling of food. For questions for businesses dealing with food, call the applicable health department as well as the applicable Fire Department.
- Weld County Environmental Health 970-304-6415
- Larimer County Environmental Health 970-498-6775
- Loveland Fire Rescue Authority 970-667-5310
- Front Range Fire Rescue 970-587-0339
For building department inspection questions, call 970-587-4664.
For zoning inspection questions, call the Planning and Development Department 970-587-4664.
Mobile Vendor License
Johnstown Municipal Code Article XI contains requirements for mobile food vendors, food trucks, outdoor vendors and pushcarts.
A Mobile Vendor License is required to prepare, sell or serve food from the interior of the truck or trailer.
Please contact the Town Clerk for an application and the Mobile Vendor Policy or with any questions.
The State of Colorado is a dual liquor license that begins at the local level. After review and approval from the local authority, the applicant will be sent to the State liquor licensing agency. Application forms and fees are set by and can be found on the State's website, linked here: https://sbg.colorado.gov/liquor
Please contact the Town Clerk for local fees.
Special Event permits that include alcohol may be issued by the Local Authority to particular types of organizations, permitting the applicant to sell or give away fermented malt beverage or alcoholic beverages for a set amount of days at a specified location. The Special Event Application can be found here. Please note you must apply 45 days prior to the event.
Timeframes that are important for a liquor license:
- Renewal applications must be submitted 45 days prior to the license expiration.
- Special event permit applications need to be submitted 30 days prior to the event.
- New licenses or transfer of ownership requires a minimum of 90 to 120 days.
To obtain a liquor license application, contact the Town Clerk at 970-578-9600. Incomplete applications/packets will not be accepted.
- All forms must be typewritten or printed legibly in black ink. All documents must be fully executed showing required signature and dates.
- Applications must be completed and a complete packet submitted to the Town Clerk, along with the required fees.
While the Johnstown Town Clerk’s office is available to provide some assistance in the application process, the Clerk cannot provide legal advice and cannot make any representations or assurances as to the final outcome of the process. It is not essential that you seek the assistance of an attorney to guide you through the process; although you may strongly consider doing so.
Call 970-587-4664 for more information
By ordinance, Sec. 6-133 the Town of Johnstown requires all peddlers and solicitors engaged in door-to-door sales to register and obtain a permit to conduct business in Johnstown. Anyone soliciting residential areas for the purpose of door-to-door sales must:
* Register with the Town Clerk's office.
* Apply with valid ID and pay for a $10 background check for each individual engaging in door-to-door sales.
* If the background check is approved, the solicitor may purchase a day-, week, month- or yearlong license.
* Solicitor must be able to present license to resident.
Please contact the Town Clerk's office for pricing and visit the Town Hall for licensing.
The following contractors need to be licensed with the Town of Johnstown to work in the Town limits. Please contact the Front Desk at email@example.com
- General Contractor
- Plumbing Contractor
- Electrical Contractor
- Mechanical Contractor
- Fire Sprinkler Contractor
- Lawn Sprinkler Contractor
- Roofing Contractor
Proof of rabies vaccination required.
Licenses are valid for only 1 year and must be renewed by April of each year.
$4.00 PER DOG, PER YEAR IF SPAYED OR NEUTERED
$10.00 PER DOG, IF NOT
Cat licenses are also required