Johnstown Snow Removal Plan
The Town of Johnstown’s Snow Plow Plan prioritizes and identifies primary routes and secondary routes as designated roads to be plowed due to snow accumulation and icy conditions. Town Staff has a large area to cover with limited Town resources. All other residential streets will only be plowed after snowstorms that produce over 6 inches of snow within one 24-hour period and after the Tier 1 and Tier 2 routes are safe and completed.
Snow Removal Tiers
Tier 1 Roads - Emergency routes and major arterials used by emergency services to access hospitals and schools. This is the priority for Town plow drivers.
Tier 2 Roads - Roads that connect local roads and streets with arterials and the designated in and out route through each neighborhood.
Tier 3 Roads - Residential streets will be plowed after snowstorms that produce over 6 inches of snow within one 24-hour period. Residential streets will only be plowed after Tier 1 and Tier 2 streets are completed.
Category 1 Storms - Between 0-6 inches of snowfall within 24 hours, Tier 1 and Tier 2 roads are plowed/de-iced. No Tier 3 roads are treated/cleared.
Category 2 Storms - 6+ inches of snowfall within 24 hours, snow clearance is prioritized for Tier 1 and Tier 2 roads, Tier 3 roads will be treated/given a single pass when Tier 1 & 2 roads are safe for travel. No private roads or alleys will be managed by the Town unless used to accommodate Town garbage service pick up.
Snow Removal Expectations for Residents & Business Owners
- Residents and business owners are required to clear their property-adjacent sidewalks within 24 hours after the last snowfall.
- Do not deposit snow into any Town right-of-way, such as sidewalks, streets, or parks when clearing your own property.
- The Town is not responsible for snow windrows along driveways, sidewalk or vehicles.
- Highway 60/South 1st Street is cleared by CDOT.
- Snow removal in the Town and areas surrounding the Town is a collaborative effort. CDOT, county, and Town government services work together to keep primary routes clear and safe for travel.
Snow Plow Fleet
The Town of Johnstown has a number of vehicles that work towards Town snow removal. These vehicles are multi-seasonal, and during winter weather, one use is snow removal.
- 3 large snow plow dump trucks
- 1 large road grader
- 1 large front end loader
- 4 pickup trucks with snow plows
- 1 skid steer